Coat-it is our premium all-purpose art, craft & jewellery resin. Not only does it provide you with an exceptionally durable, glossy finish, it's also crystal-clear, cruelty-free, non-toxic, uv stable and vegan-friendly (I mean come on... how cool is that?!).
Use coat-it resin for almost everything your creative mind can dream of. From pendants to coasters, trinket dishes to coating paintings, coat-it is the resin you've been looking for, and now you've found it. It's pretty straightforward - mix equal parts together, leave them to set and voila, you're a resin pro. For inspo, check our our video ☝️
This exceptional craft resin is officially certified safe to use at home (with the proper PPE obvs), has a super easy 1:1 mix ratio and the very latest anti-yellowing tech inside. VOC, solvent and BPA free, with little to no odour and touch dry in 4-5 hours. BOOM!
Coat-it resin holds patterns beautifully, due to it being so thick, and has excellent bubble release when part A is warmed. Coat-it can be used as a food-safe coating (but not as a cutting surface) and as it is super-shiny it will guarantee you the very best finish every time. Over 100,000 happy customers can't be wrong!
When you thought it just couldn't get any better, we've knocked it out of the park with this fact... Coat-it is made from materials that would otherwise enter landfill (as it's a by-product of the oil industry). So, buying coat-it epoxy resin from Resin8 means you can create beautiful pieces whilst preventing waste and looking after the planet.
There is no such thing as a silly question, and because we're just nice like that, we've compiled a hugggggeeee long list of FAQs about our resins especially for you to read through while you're warming your resin - check them out here.
👇THE NITTY GRITTY, INSTRUCTIONS AND SCIENCEY BIT 👇
It is your responsibility to ensure you have read all of the health & safety information provided below. If you're looking for techy stuff, please check out the TDS, and for H&S please check out the MSDS. Take a look at our Health & Safety page for more general info on working with epoxy.
Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin is a modern formulation of the safest epoxy chemicals available. However, all epoxy resins are chemicals and they do come with Health & Safety implications and instructions, for which it is your responsibility to follow:
- You MUST wear nitrile gloves (or use a specialist resin barrier cream on your hands and unprotected skin).
- You MUST wear a respirator when sanding partially-cured resin. You do not need to wear one when pouring this resin.
- Work with this resin in a well ventilated room (open the window, door, etc).
- We advise you to wear safety goggles.
- Avoid skin contact.
- We advise against eating, drinking or smoking while working.
- In case of eye contamination wash with plenty of water for 15 minutes and consult medical advice immediately.
- Coat-it Part A does not like the cold, and you may find that it crystallises in the bottle. This is just the same as with honey, and can be easily rectified by placing the resin bottle (Part A) in recently boiled water for 10-15 minutes and waiting for it to return to tiptop (runny honey consistency) condition!
- Because coat-it epoxy resin is thick and viscous we suggest you warm the part A (resin) bottle before use by popping it on a radiator or standing the bottle in some recently boiled water for 5 minutes. This means it will be easier to pour and work with. The part B (hardener) bottle should not be warmed.
- Use 1 part resin to 1 part hardener by volume (1:1) to ensure a hard finish once set. We advise you measure in millilitres and don't try to be clever with the mixing ratio. By changing it you will alter the properties of the resin, which inevitably means it won't set!
- Stir Part A and Part B together thoroughly for at least 3 minutes - this is a long time... set a timer on your phone.
- Once mixed, coat-it epoxy resin remains at its most liquid for around 40 minutes, depending on the temperature of your workspace.
- Epoxy resins tend to heat up when poured in large volumes (i.e. they produce an exothermic reaction), and when poured in teeny tiny volumes there isn't enough mass to generate the reaction, so we advise you to mix no less than 10ml and no more than 2l at a time.
- If you're old school you can weigh your coat-it epoxy resin. Use accurate digital scales (not the old fashioned kitchen kind) and use the ratio of 100g resin to 90g hardener pro-rata (1:0.9).
- Your working space should be between 18 to 25ºC and humidity level below 70% (i.e. do not use in a room with drying laundry, pots and pans boiling or kettles on the go).
- Make sure your resin piece is level and pop any bubbles by hand using a cocktail stick, or use a heat gun or naked flame for a couple of seconds to aid bubble release. Avoid dimpling by holding the blowtorch or heat gun at least 20cm away.
- If cured at around 23ºC, this resin should be touch dry within 4-5 hours and fully cured after 5-7 days. We like to cure our resin makes in the dark (for extra light-fastness) and in a dust-free environment
- You can make cocktail coasters with this resin BUT it will only withstand temperatures of around 45-50ºC so for everyday coasters you may want to check out our heat-resistant resin.
If you're unsure about anything above, have a question, or just want a read, check out our FAQs here.
Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin has been certified by the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) as non-toxic when used as directed and conforms to ASTM D-4236. It contains no VOCs, no solvents and doesn't give off fumes when used at room temperature. It is non-flammable and has a very mild odour and therefore safe for home use. It is certified as safe for INCIDENTAL FOOD CONTACT. It is NOT suitable for use on anything that comes into direct contact with the mouth (e.g. a cup) or as a cutting surface.