This Coat-it Epoxy Resin Starter Kit has all the essentials for your very first go with our best-selling resin. In its Resin8 branded wrap, it makes a perfect gift and the contents of this great beginners bundle include:
Resin8 coat-it 1 to 1 epoxy resin is our artwork coating resin. It is non-toxic, has no VOCs or solvents and is safe for home use (when used as directed). Generally used for coating in thin layers, this art resin can also be used for making geodes, jewellery making in bezels, jewellery casting in shallow silicone moulds and cold enamelling.
- Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin 200g kit - 100g of resin and 100g of hardener
- 1 pair nitrile gloves - essential for protecting you skin against chemicals
- 2 graduated mixing cups - essential for measuring out
- 1 60ml graduated cup - great for mixing the resin and hardener together
- 3 mixing sticks - essential for stirring resin and hardener and can be re-used over and over again.
- Basic instructions on how to measure, mix and create with epoxy resin
Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin - "the best resin you will ever use"
It is your responsibility to ensure you have read the health & safety information, measuring and mixing instructions below. For specific technical information about mix ratio, pot life etc, please expand the 'Specifications' box at the bottom of the listing. We have an extensive list of FAQs and youtube videos which you should visit for help and advice if you need it. Please note, this resin has different measurements for measuring by volume or weight!
Why choose Resin8 coat-it resin:
- NON-TOXIC - safe to use as directed at home, contains no solvents or VOCs
- EASY - 1:1 mix ratio by volume
- CLEAR - optically transparent with minimal yellowing
- THICK - self-levelling with high build
- SHINY - high gloss, beautiful finish
- KIND - cruelty-free, vegan-friendly
Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin has been certified by the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) as non-toxic when used as directed and conforms to ASTM D-4236. It contains no VOCs, no solvents and doesn't give off fumes when used at room temperature. It is non-flammable and has a very mild odour and therefore safe for home use.
Health & Safety
Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin is a modern formulation of the safest epoxy chemicals available. However, all epoxy resins are chemicals and they do come with Health & Safety implications. It is your responsibility to read the below thoroughly.
Here are the important downloads which we advise you to read before you start working with this resin:
More information on health & safety while working with epoxy resins can be read on our Health & Safety page.
- You MUST wear nitrile gloves (or use a specialist resin barrier cream on your hands)
- You MUST wear a respirator when sanding partially-cured resin
- Ensure you work with this resin in a well ventilated room
- We advise you to wear safety goggles
- Avoid skin contact
- We advise against eating, drinking or smoking while working
- In case of eye contamination wash with plenty of water for 15 minutes and consult medical advice immediately
Measuring & Mixing
It is CRITICAL that you follow the instructions accurately. Do NOT change the mixing ratio - this will alter the properties of the resin and may cause it to remain tacky.
- This resin is fairly viscous - to loosen it and make it easier for pouring, we suggest you warm the resin bottle before use by popping it on a radiator or standing the bottle in some warm water for 5 minutes.
- Use 1 part resin to 1 part hardener by volume (1:1) to ensure a hard finish once set. We advise you to measure in millilitres.
- Use separate, clean volumetric mixing cups for each part. We advise you to pour the hardener first and then the resin into one clean, larger cup.
- The mixed components should be thoroughly stirred for 3 minutes to ensure an even consistency - this is a long time... set a timer on your phone.
Once mixed, Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin remains at its most liquid for up to 40 minutes, depending on the temperature of your workspace. Epoxy resins tend to heat up when poured in large volumes so we advise you to only mix the amount needed for use within the liquid time frame of the product. If you are measuring by volume, we advise you to mix no less than 20g and no more than 2kg at a time.
If you prefer to weigh your resin, use accurate digital scales (not the old fashioned kitchen kind) and use the ratio of 100g resin to 90g hardener pro-rata (1:0.9).
Watch this video for a demonstration of how to measure and mix this resin:
This resin is designed to be used as a clear art coating but it can also be coloured with our any non-water based pigments and powders on our site - opaque, transparent, metallic, etc. Try embedding objects or adding mica powder & glitter to your artwork. Please be aware that adding anything to epoxy resin will change its properties and may reduce its non-toxicity. If you are adding alcohol inks DO NOT use a flame to remove bubbles, as alcohol is flammable.
Apply by pouring, use lollipop sticks, pipettes, brushes or even rollers. The room temperature should be between 18 to 25ºC and humidity level below 70% (i.e. do not use in a room with drying laundry).
Make sure your resin piece is level. Pop any bubbles by hand using a cocktail stick, or use a heat gun or naked flame for a couple of seconds to aid bubble release. Avoid dimpling by holding the blowtorch or heat gun at least 20cm away.
Use silicone dispersion media such as resi-BLAST to create lacing and cellular effects, and try our amazing white opaque pigment that creates cells all by itself!
If cured at 23ºC this resin should be touch dry within 4-5 hours and fully cured after 5-7 days. We advise you to cure your resin pieces in a dust free environment, and keep in the dark for as long as possible.
As this resin has a low heat distortion temperature (45-50ºC) it is unsuitable for making items that will have hot things placed on them (e.g. coasters).