This Coat-it Epoxy Resin Tester Kit has all the essentials for your very first go with our best-selling resin. In its Resin8 branded wrap, the contents of this great beginners bundle include:
- Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin 200ml kit - 100ml of resin and 100ml of hardener
- 1 pair nitrile gloves - essential for protecting you skin against chemicals
- 2 graduated mixing cups - essential for measuring out
- 1 60ml graduated cup - great for mixing the resin and hardener together
- 3 mixing sticks - essential for stirring resin and hardener and can be re-used over and over again.
- Basic instructions on how to measure, mix and create with epoxy resin
Please note, this kit does NOT include step-by-step instructions or any moulds/bezels.
Coat-it is our best-selling multi-use epoxy resin. It is non-toxic, has no VOCs or solvents, is cruelty-free, vegan-friendly, and is safe for home use (when used as directed). Designed for coating in thin layers, this versatile and UV stable art resin can also be used for making geodes & agates, jewellery making in bezels, casting in silicone moulds and cold enamelling.
The 8 reasons why Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin is the right resin for you:
- NON-TOXIC - certified safe to use at home, odour-free, contains no solvents or VOCs
- EASY - 1:1 mix ratio by volume
- CLEAR - optically transparent with one of the highest UV resistances on the market
- FAST - touch dry within 4-5 hours
- THICK - self-levelling with high build
- SHINY - high gloss, beautiful finish
- KIND - cruelty-free, vegan-friendly
- FOOD-SAFE - can be used as a food-safe coating but not as a cutting surface
It is your responsibility to ensure you have read the health & safety information, measuring and mixing instructions below. For specific technical information about mix ratio, pot life etc, please expand the 'Specifications' box at the bottom of the listing.
Measuring & Mixing
You MUST follow the instructions accurately. Do NOT change the mixing ratio - this will alter the properties of the resin and may cause it to remain tacky.
- Coat-it epoxy resin is thick and viscous - to loosen it and make it easier for pouring, we suggest you warm the part A (resin) bottle before use by popping it on a radiator or standing the bottle in some warm water for 5 minutes. The part B (hardener) bottle should not be warmed.
- Use 1 part resin to 1 part hardener by volume (1:1) to ensure a hard finish once set. We advise you measure in millilitres.
- Use separate, clean volumetric mixing cups for each part and a larger clean cup to pour both parts into for mixing.
- Stir Part A and Part B together thoroughly for at least 3 minutes - this is a long time... set a timer on your phone.
- Once mixed, coat-it epoxy resin remains at its most liquid for around 40 minutes, depending on the temperature of your workspace.
Epoxy resins tend to heat up when poured in large volumes (i.e. they produce an exothermic reaction) so we advise you to only mix the amount needed for use within the liquid timeframe of the product. If you are measuring by volume, we suggest you mix no less than 20ml and no more than 2l at a time. If you prefer to weigh your resin, use accurate digital scales (not the old fashioned kitchen kind) and use the ratio of 100g resin to 90g hardener pro-rata (1:0.9).
This resin can be used clear or coloured with our extensive range of colour pigments & powders. Try embedding objects such as dried flowers & leaves, adding glitter, glow-in-the-dark powder, layering the resin in moulds or simply coating a precious painting or photograph. Please note that adding anything to epoxy resin will change its properties and may reduce its non-toxicity. If you are adding alcohol inks DO NOT use a flame to remove bubbles, as alcohol is flammable.
You can apply coat-it epoxy resin by pouring, using lollipop sticks, pipettes, brushes or even rollers. The room temperature should be between 18 to 25ºC and humidity level below 70% (i.e. do not use in a room with drying laundry, pots and pans boiling or kettles on the go).
Make sure your resin piece is level. Pop any bubbles by hand using a cocktail stick, or use a heat gun or naked flame for a couple of seconds to aid bubble release. Avoid dimpling by holding the blowtorch or heat gun at least 20cm away.
If cured at 23ºC this resin should be touch dry within 4-5 hours and fully cured after 5-7 days. We advise you to cure your resin pieces in a dust free environment, and keep in the dark for as long as possible. This resin is not suitable for making coasters, trivets or placemats - it will only withstand temperatures of around 45-50ºC.
Health & Safety
Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin is a modern formulation of the safest epoxy chemicals available. However, all epoxy resins are chemicals and they do come with Health & Safety implications. It is your responsibility to read the below thoroughly.
- You MUST wear nitrile gloves (or use a specialist resin barrier cream on your hands)
- You MUST wear a respirator when sanding partially-cured resin
- Ensure you work with this resin in a well ventilated room
- We advise you to wear safety goggles
- Avoid skin contact
- We advise against eating, drinking or smoking while working
- In case of eye contamination wash with plenty of water for 15 minutes and consult medical advice immediately
We advise you read the Coat-it TDS & MSDS
before you start working with this resin
More information on health & safety while working with epoxy resins can be read on our Health & Safety page.
Resin8 coat-it epoxy resin has been certified by the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) as non-toxic when used as directed and conforms to ASTM D-4236. It contains no VOCs, no solvents and doesn't give off fumes when used at room temperature. It is non-flammable and has a very mild odour and therefore safe for home use. It is certified as safe for INCIDENTAL FOOD CONTACT. It is NOT suitable for use on anything that comes into direct contact with the mouth (e.g. a cup) or as a cutting surface.