Black - pure jet darkness
Strong, long-lasting, and oh so vibrant - our best-selling range of Opaque Resin Pigments will add intense flat colours to your resin work. Bold and vibrant, these colours are lightfast and have an excellent tolerance to fading in prolonged sunlight. A little goes a LONG way, they are highly concentrated and must be pre-mixed with resin for use.
For optimum dispersion you will need to stir these pigments first. They are thick and creamy, which is what allows for the beautiful bold and dense coverage. If you would like a more washed out effect you can add less pigment, but these will not give you a translucent look (for that you need our transparent tints).
With a well bonded chemical structure, our opaque pigments are more resistant to heat than other pigments which means you can happily manipulate these colours with a heat tool with minimal bubbling, blistering or separation.
Top tips for use:
- Stir first: these colours can separate from their binder. This is completely normal - it just needs a good mix up
- Intermix: you can create any colour under the sun with our opaque pigments - try mixing two colours in a small pot prior to adding to your resin mix
- Use sparingly: the general rule of thumb is to use up to 10% by volume to your resin mix (1 part pigment to 10 parts resin mix). Any more than this and you will interfere with the resin ratio – resulting in your work curing with a tacky or flexible finish. We like to think about the amounts to use in terms of nuts & seeds... for 20mls resin you need a SESAME seed sized amount of pigment; for 40mls a PINE NUT, for 100mls a SUNFLOWER SEED; and for 250ml a CASHEW NUT sized amount of pigment.
- Add to resin: these pigments do not work like traditional paints (and can't be used to paint with on paper or canvas) - they must be pre-mixed with resin
Please note - we fill all of our tubs by hand, and weigh every single one. Some pigments are more dense than others, which means some tubs will appear to have less pigment in than others, but rest assured each and every one has been weighed accurately.
Health & Safety:
- Resin8 Opaque Pigments are not classed as toxic. However, they should not be ingested and they should be kept out of the reach of children
- We suggest wearing nitrile gloves, or using a barrier cream, while working with epoxy resin and we always advise against eating, drinking or smoking while working
- For more information on how to stay safe while working with resin please visit our Health & Safety page
- You can download a full MSDS and TDS for every colour here.